Private Client Department
Paula specialises in Private Client work, including:
- Obtaining Grants of Probate and assisting with the estate administration.
- Advising on cross-border estates and liaising with professionals in other jurisdictions.
- Advising on complex Inheritance Tax calculations, including the aggregation of trust assets and the applicability of Inheritance Tax reliefs.
- Preparation of Deeds of Variation.
- Advice on making Wills, including those using trusts.
- Advice on the preparation and registration of Lasting Powers of Attorney for property and financial affairs and health and welfare.
- Advice on the creation and termination of trusts, and in particular the Inheritance Tax regime applicable to trusts (including discretionary trusts).
Paula is a Partner at Mercers. She read modern languages (French and German) at Oxford and subsequently qualified as a solicitor in 2003. After spending her first two years post-qualification in a London firm, she joined Mercers in 2005.
What clients have said about Paula
“Paula, may we thank you once more for your expeditious, clear and comprehensive work on our behalf, and, in particular, for all your suggestions and guidance.”
– Mr and Mrs W
“Paula, thanks for all you have done to make the administration of my parents’ estates go smoothly.”
– Mr RF, London
“Thank you for the prompt, courteous and very efficient way you have dealt with my late mother’s estate, making the whole sad process of sorting things out a great deal easier for me and my sister.”
– Mr PH, London
“Paula, I just wanted to say a big thank you for your help over the last three years….At times it was all very daunting and even scary but you always managed to keep things simple and explain the situation very clearly and succinctly. Your ability to empathise with your client yet remain tough and strong when the chips were down is a talent you should acknowledge. It is difficult to genuinely find someone that can play hard yet at the same time really connects to the person sitting in front of them.”
– Mrs LO, Oxfordshire
“Paula, I just wanted to thank you for all your help and guidance with preparing my Will, a daunting task made incredibly easy by yourself.”
– Mrs NM, Oxfordshire
“I wanted to say thank you so much for assisting me through all my legalities since my mum’s death. You have been kind and very efficient – getting things done and responding to my queries promptly. It has been much appreciated by myself and my family.”– Mrs HP, Oxfordshire
“It has been great to have the support of someone as kind and understanding as Paula.”– Mrs C
“Paula, Thank you for dealing with us over the past few years. My sisters and I have been very fortunate in having you look after Mum and Dad’s estate and for taking care of all the other items that popped up over the past few years.”– Mr B